Country Walk Summary

Newbrook Farm near Uley

This linear access route provides access to the nearby CRoW land (an area of statutory open access) and is being provided through the Higher Level Stewardship Scheme. It enables visitors to enjoy superb panoramic views of the surrounding countryside from the summit of Downham Hill. The area is steeped in history. Near the summit of the hill lie the remains of an ancient tower-like cottage built in the reign of King Edward lll around the time of the Black Death in 1346. It is believed to be one of the earliest isolation hospitals in England. For this reason the hill has been known locally as ''Smallpox Hill''. North of here on the slopes of the hill are four well preserved pillow mounds, believed to be associated with medieval rabbit breeding (known as warrening). Keep a look out for buzzards which are common in this area. Please keep dogs on a lead if stock are present on the hill.

Newbrook Farm  - Click to see the Site Map (PDF)

Click to see the Site Map (PDF)
Grid Reference
ST777987 (link to Interactive Map in a new window)
OS Landranger No.
CPH Reference Number
Near To
Length of route
0.1 km (0.1 miles)
Best time to visit
All year round
Access end date

Accessibility Information
Data not yet available


Other walks and rides near this one



Information Last Updated
10 November, 2016